The research in my lab is targeted on enhancing our understanding of the organization of grass genomes, in particular wheat, millets and switchgrass, a biofuel crop. This is done through genetic and genomic analyses in the target species themselves, as well as through comparative analyses between crop and sequenced model genomes.
- NSF-BREAD, PI, 06/01/16 – 05/31/19, Development of essential genetic and genomic resources for finger millet.
- USDA-SCRI, Co-PI, 09/01/15 – 08/31/19, Persistence, survival and recovery of warm-season turfgrass selections for sustainable urban landscapes under limited irrigation and long-term drought.
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Co-PI, 10/01/15 – 09/30/19, PEARL: Unraveling the molecular genetics of finger millet blast disease and existing resistance for the development of high-yielding resilient varieties.
- USDA-Plant Feedstocks Genomics for Bioenergy Program, Co-PI, 10/01/15 – 09/30/18, Parallel analysis of Puccinia emaculata virulence and switchgrass resistance phenotypes.
- DOE-Plant Feedstocks Genomics for Bioenergy Program, PI, 09/01/13 – 08/31/17, Unraveling the genetics of two key biomass traits that differentiate upland and lowland tetraploid switchgrass ecotypes, colonization by mycorrhizal fungi and frost tolerance.
- NSF – Plant Genome Program, Co-PI, 09/01/13 – 08/31/17, Sequencing of the Aegilops tauschii genome.
- DOE, Co-PI, 10/01/07 – 09/30/17, BioEnergy Science Center (Switchgrass Group).
Ph.D Grass Comparative Genomics, State University Ghent, Belgium 1992
- BBSRC Fellowship (1996-2001)
- STAFF Visiting Research Fellowship, Japan (Jan - March 1998)
- ISIS Fellowship (Dec. 2000 - March 2001)