Ph.D Genetics, University of Wisconsin 1976
My current research interests are in the broad areas of bioinformatics and plant evolutionary/ecological genetics. Will Rogers and I are studying the genetics, evolution, and ecology, of the insect-eating pitcher plants (Sarracenia species). Most of my bioinformatics work is in collaboration with Liming Cai of the Computer Science Department to develop methods of modeling and searching genomes for non-coding RNAs.
- NIH 5 R01 GM117596-02. From RNA Sequence to 3D Structure, Accurate Predictions Through Backbone K-Trees. Liming Cai, Russell L. Malmberg, Cory Momany.. 1 July 2015 to 30 June 2018.
- NSF IOS 1601273. Carnivorous plant syndromes: The role of volatile emissions in the diversification of the pitcher plant genus Sarracenia, Jessica Stephens, Russell L. Malmberg. 1 May 2016 to 30 November 2017.
- 1991 - University of Georgia Sandy Beaver Special Teaching Award
- 2001-2002 - University of Georgia Study in a Second Discipline Award
- 2008 - Elected Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- 2014 - University Professor