Ph.D Plant Molecular Biology, Epigenetics and Genomics, University of Georgia 2003
The current research in my lab is directed to understand the establishment and maintenance of histone modifications in plants, their roles in regulating gene expression and development, and how they have contributed to the evolution of gene and genome functions. We use Arabidopsis and rice as model systems and employ a wide range of approaches, including genetic, molecular biology, biochemistry and genomic tools such as high-throughput sequencing and high-density tiling microarrays.
- Gent, J., Madzima, T., Bader, R., Kent, M., Zhang, X., Stam, M., McGinnis, K., Dawe, K. (2014). Accessible DNA and relative depletion of H3K9me2 at maize RdDM loci. The Plant Cell, 26(12), 4903-17.
- Xu, Y., Gan, E., Zhou, E., Wee, W., Zhang, X., Ito, T. (2014). Arabidopsis MRG domain proteins bridge two histone modifications to elevate expression of flowering genes. Nucleic Acids Research, 42(17), 42(17):10960-74.
- Joana Sequeira-Mendes, Irene Aragüez, Ramón Peiró, Raul Mendez-Giraldez, Xiaoyu Zhang, Steven E Jacobsen, Ugo Bastolla, Crisanto Gutierrez. (2014). The Functional Topography of the Arabidopsis Genome is Defined by Nine Chromatin States that Associate in a Small Number of Motifs. The Plant Cell, 26(6), 2351-2366.
- Zhang, X. (2014). Delayed gratification - waiting to terminate stem cell identity.. Science (New York, N.Y.), 343(6170), 498-9.
- Consortium, A. G. S., Zhang, X. (2013). The Amborella Genome and the Evolution of Flowering Plants. Science (New York, N.Y.), 342(6165), 1241089.
- Gent, J., Ellis, N., Guo, L., Harkess, A., Yao, Y., Zhang, X., Dawe, R. K. (2013). CHH islands: de novo DNA methylation in near-gene chromatin regulation in maize. Genome Research, 23, 628-637. www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23269663
- Zhang, X. (2012). Dynamic differential methylation facilitates pathogen stress response in Arabidopsis. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci., USA, 109(32), 12842.
- Eichten, S., Ellis, N., Makarevitch, I., Yeh, C., Gent, J., Guo, L., McGinnis, K., Zhang, X., Schnable, P., Vaughn, M., Dawe, R. K., Springer, N. (2012). Spreading of heterochromatin is limited to specific families of maize retrotransposons. PLoS Genetics, 8(12), e1003127.