The research in my lab is targeted on enhancing our understanding of the organization of grass genomes, in particular wheat, millets and switchgrass, a biofuel crop. This is done through genetic and genomic analyses in the target species themselves, as well as through comparative analyses between crop and sequenced model genomes.
- DOE, Co-PI, 10/01/17 – 09/30/22, Center for Bioenergy Innovation (Switchgrass Domestication Team).
- NSF-BREAD, PI, 06/01/16 – 05/31/20, Development of essential genetic and genomic resources for finger millet.
- USDA-SCRI, Co-PI, 09/01/15 – 08/31/20, Persistence, survival and recovery of warm-season turfgrass selections for sustainable urban landscapes under limited irrigation and long-term drought.
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Co-PI, 10/01/15 – 09/30/19, PEARL: Unraveling the molecular genetics of finger millet blast disease and existing resistance for the development of high-yielding resilient varieties.
- USDA-Plant Feedstocks Genomics for Bioenergy Program, Co-PI, 10/01/15 – 09/30/18, Parallel analysis of Puccinia emaculata virulence and switchgrass resistance phenotypes.
- DOE-Plant Feedstocks Genomics for Bioenergy Program, PI, 09/01/13 – 08/31/19, Unraveling the genetics of two key biomass traits that differentiate upland and lowland tetraploid switchgrass ecotypes, colonization by mycorrhizal fungi and frost tolerance.
Ph.D Grass Comparative Genomics, State University Ghent, Belgium 1992
- Fellow of the Crop Science Society of America (2019)
- Distinguished Visiting Scientist Fellowship, CSIRO (Jan – July 2018)
- D.W. Brooks Award for Excellence in Research (2017)
- UGA Creative Research Medal (2017)
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (2016)
- ISIS Fellowship (Dec. 2000 - March 2001)
- STAFF Visiting Research Fellowship, Japan (Jan - March 1998)
- BBSRC Fellowship (1996-2001)